24/11/2009

Want to give your marriage a real test?

So the night before last I wrote a huge blog about how we decided that we had decided on an area in Devon to relocate to and that place was Okehampton. I decided not to post and leave it for the next day because it was quite late and I wanted to proof read it. I'm glad I didn't.

Okehampton is a beautiful place and we were so excited because it's practically on the door step of Dartmoor National Park and is pretty much slap bang in the middle of no where. Where we live now, our back garden opens directly on to a tree reserve and we wanted to move somewhere similar, because we'd like great dog walking trails. Okehampton seemed perfect.

So we were doing some research about employment in the area and it turns out that Okehampton's Job Centre was recently closed and that people have to commute to Exeter's Job Centre some twenty miles away. The thing is we have no car and we can hardly afford to fritter money commuting on two bus rides there.

Phil was all like "Don't worry, don't worry. Remember I can work two jobs if I have to." But I don't want him to work two jobs. So we decided that without no car and Okehampton being such a way off from any major town Okehampton may not be the best way to start our new life in Devon.

Suddenly all hell erupted. I'm not really sure what happened. But I remember shouting at at him something rotten about how I'm sick of waiting for him to announce when he's going to get off the Xbox and actually start researching areas for us to live. I'm sick of him not doing any research into any area. We haven't had an argument this bad in nearly a year, we've been married for two years and still in the honeymoon period.

He shouted back that his way was better in the sense that he's going to literally google some places that accept Housing Benefit [We figured that renting somewhere that would accept Housing Benefit would mean that if we struggled to find work or if a recession hit again, we wouldn't be faced with homelessness]. As soon as he found a place that accepts HB that's where we'd move to.

Basically I can't even begin to express my frustration and depression of being here. Not to mention his formula of going about this. I really think that we should research areas. I'm so stressed because we were supposed to move in September then October but Phil decided he didn't want to move until the stress of Christmas is over.

So understandably I'm a bit of an emotional mess. I'm desperate to work like you wouldn't believe and I haven't been able to because no one wants to hire someone who's only going to be in the area 8 weeks as I have been told by the hundreds of applications I've sent out.
Arrrrrghhhhhh! *bashes head against keyboard.*

I ended up telling him that I am pulling out of this move because he's dragging his feet and that to be honest, I felt we were never going to move. I feel like we're both runners and we have a fear of finishing line tape and we stand there acting all willy nilly because neither of us can face our fear of crossing it. I'm sick of being unemployed [I graduated four months ago] and I just want to earn money.

He stormed off to bed then came back to try and discuss it, I said repeatedly that we should just move somewhere locally for a while because I'm just sick of it all. So we blanked each other until the next afternoon. I really hate fighting with him. We both apologised and he promised me that we will move in January maybe not at the start but certainly, by January 31st we will be in our new home.

So everythings back on, we're best friends again and we're going to try and find a place closer to Exeter. He still doesn't know which town we'll be moving to *Arrrrgh!* we did look at Paignton but we can't afford a grand a month in rent.

If you want to really test your marriage move your wife three hundred miles to your home county it really will be one of the hardest strains on even the best of marriages.

Incase you're wondering why my brackets are [ like this], it's because they don't work on one
of the laptops I use.

0 comments: